Sunday, February 27, 2011

February 2011

Happy Valentines!
 
      It's been a really weird month, our weather started out extremely cold with a blizzard blowing in on the 1st which dumped 14" of snow on us!  Okies dubbed it Snowpocalypse / Snowmageddon 2011.

        However Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow and is predicting and early spring.  Farther on into February the weather turned awesome with highs near 80°. Also this month, the Egyptians finally took control of their country when Mubarak stepped down, and Libya is trying to follow in their footsteps.  The final launch of Discovery took place this month too.

            I continue to work on the inscription on my quilt.  I am on the next to last row of the inscription.  I'm getting excited about the next phase, it has been a long time coming.  I have been conferring with my sister as to how I will be quilting my quilt.  She has made several handmade quilts and my mother made dozens and dozens of handmade quilts.  My sister will be my consultant as I step into the process of quilting….my first time!
Wetting the paper pattern

Removing the paper pattern

7 comments:

  1. I like your close up picture. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and am intrigued by this very ambitious project. How exactly does the embroidery work with the paper? Beautiful job! What an heirloom.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy, I tried in practice several different ways to transfer what I wanted to say to my children onto the quilt top. When I was younger I would embroider over pictures in colorbooks and tear off the paper, and I had a nice picture without having to by patterns. So I typed what I wanted on the computer and printed it off. I would cut the strips and pin to the quilt and embroider over the words, when done I wet it with a q-tip and removed with a straigt pin and it worked great. I hope this answer helps. Thanks for taking the time to find me, I just put this out here in February-it was all in a personal journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan: Thank you for taking the time to answer my question about embroidering your inscription. Interesting that you went to Oklahoma Quiltworks -- I've been getting their emails for quite a while and plan to see the store in person this month as my husband and I drive from California to Paducah for the AQS show. You need to consider entering this when it's completed. Thanks again! Good luck.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank YOU for visiting and being interested. I will possibly enter it someday when it's finished (I hope). I've only been on here a few months, so I'm glad people are finding me and enjoying looking at my project.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews